Bluff - Indigenous peoples (1)

​We Call Ourselves the Bluff Belters

CASEY

    Where do I even begin to talk about the trip that I just experienced? Me and 11 peers that I thought I knew piled into Bertha, our 12 passenger van, and set off on a journey without much to expect. Little did I realize that I would build amazing relationships, some of which I would be able to bring back to Mizzou and some that unfortunately only lasted a week. The group of participants were beyond amazing. We bonded through hiking every day, listening to Ed Sheeran (courtesy of Brooke), and struggling to find the gas tank. The group was very outgoing and everyone was amazing with the kids. I could not ask for a better group of people to share this experience with.
    Arriving at the school after a long first few days of driving and camping was a breath of fresh air. It seemed as the kids instantly feel in love, and we did the same. Working with the children of Bluff Elementary is something that I will keep with me for a long time. Even though we only were able to spend five days with them, I was able to see improvements in reading, writing, math, and especially science, which I spent most of my time with. The kids always seemed willing to learn and were very respectful to us. I loved playing fox and chicken and dodgeball every day, (even though they beat us once…or twice). We made it a point to stress getting a good education and going to college, because many of these kids are not exposed to that aspect of education. I can only hope that we made as big of an impact on the kids as they made on us.
    Picking a favorite part of the trip is not very easy but if I had to choose I would make it our journey onto the Navajo reservation. Hearing the “medicine man” opening up and educating us about their culture and lifestyle was very courageous of him. They included us in a short ceremony, showed us everything about their property, and even made us delicious traditional Navajo tacos for dinner. It was instantly the most unique and incredible experience I have had, and I will hold onto it for the rest of my life.
This MAB trip was life changing for me and I cannot put into words how grateful I am to have been able to be a part of it.

MAB love,
Casey Leadbetter
Utah Crew, aka The Bluff Belters
_______________________________________________​
ANNIE

    The best way I can describe my experience with MAB is joy. I created friendships that were founded on thoughtful discussion from people who all wanted to be a part of something that made the world a little better. I don't consider myself much of an optimist, but it gives me a great deal of hope that those 11 people driving across the desert with me were so compassionate, kind, and wise. MAB is a great example of how service helps those who serve. By the third day, I was calling the 2nd graders "mine". They were a tough class of 26 extremely energetic students and I absolutely loved being around them. There is a lot of joy to be found in the curiosity and gentleness of children. They were so willing to open themselves up and make us a part of their lives, and that was incredible. We reach a point in our lives when it 's harder for us to be happy because of all the trivial and material beliefs we hold. When I see children who are so interested in learning and so engaged in the world around them, it makes me wonder why we don't all try a little harder to try a little less at what makes us angry, or confused, or stressed out. I was so happy in Bluff, Utah, and I think that now I have figured out how to be a little happier everywhere. Finally, I want to say that this trip  gave me a perspective into Navajo culture that few people probably will ever have. I hope that I can take what I have experienced through the accepting and humble nature of the Navajo people and move forward in a life of compassion.
_______________________________________________
MEGHAN

    This week was one that I will always remember. Growing along with my fellow participants, challenging myself to try new things and climb to new heights (literally), and hearing the joyful laughter of children at Bluff Elementary School all brought me so much gratification. I could have spent this week sleeping on my parents couch, but instead I spent it sleeping under the stars in my first ever camping experience. I could have wasted away my days with Netflix and naps, but instead I tutored students in math and English and hiked all over Utah. To my Bluff Booties, you all are incredible and I’m so happy to have shared this experience with you. This week was so much more than I thought it would be, and I thank every person who encouraged me and made this possible.
 ​_______________________________________________
HENRY

    The week I spent with the Bluff crew was without a doubt one of the best experiences of my life. It is difficult to summarize all of the different moments of this trip. For starters, when you spend 24 hours every day with the same 12 people, you get to know them very quickly. It was great to see how awesome everyone on our trip came together. Whether is was finding out where the gas tank was on our van, digging our van out of the sand or cooking dinner, everyone pitched in with no hesitation, and we had a blast doing it.

    One of the most enjoyable parts of our trip was talking to everyone and getting to know everyone individually. I am so grateful for the many conversations I had with the awesome people on our trip and the things they shared with me. There is so much to learn about other people, yourself and the world if you simply have a meaningful conversation with someone else.

    As for the specifics of the trip itself, the kids of Bluff Elementary are absolutely amazing. Working with them and their teachers for a week was a blast, even when it was challenging. Getting to know the kids and working with them on their math, reading, science or any other subject was truly rewarding. Many of the children at this school face plenty of difficulties in their lives with regards to their education and future success and I really do believe we affected them in a positive way.

    On top of all of that, two other things stand out: our experience on the Navajo reservation and our hiking and climbing adventures. Hiking through Arches National Park, Canyonlands and Valley of the Gods was like nothing else I had ever done. Exploring the area of Bluff, climbing countless hillsides and watching the best sunrises and sunsets I have ever seen was incredible. The climax of our trip was definitely our evening spent on the Navajo reservation. The family that welcomed us to their home to spend time with them, eat with them, and experience aspects of their culture was truly an honor. It was an eye-opening experience and one I am incredibly grateful for. I am grateful for this entire week, too. And I am hopeful that many others will continue to have similar experiences on MAB trips.
_______________________________________________

VIVIAN

    I was a little skeptical at first on how a week’s worth of service is able to improve anything besides our own experiences, but the past week at Bluff Elementary proved me wrong. Last week is too hard for me to summarize. All twelve of us had done so much in such a short time. If there is one thing I feel like I’ve contributed the most, it would be how my ability to speak different languages encouraged the kids of Bluff Elementary to think that them knowing the Navajo language is a cool thing too. Being a person who constantly tries to fit in, I was proud that I allowed my differences, physically and culturally, openly be pointed out to show these Navajo children how important it is to preserve their culture.
_______________________________________________
CORI
        Mizzou Alternative Breaks was one of the greatest decisions I have made in my college career. While going into the trip I was not sure what to expect, and at times was a little frightened, I knew that I would be participating in something that not many people get to do. This past week, the children I worked with opened up my eyes to lessons not only about children and the Navajo culture, but how special life truly is and how much I have to be grateful for. I have pledged to myself that I will work harder to better the children in my community. I have pledged to myself that I will no longer be ignorant of the vast inequalities within my own country. And finally, I have pledged to myself that I will no longer take my small luxuries for granted and complain less about the minor strains within my own life.
​_______________________________________________
SALAH
    I remember first entering a large, white Ford van that would house 12 college students as they made their long journey from Columbia, Missouri to the small town of Bluff, Utah to serve a predominately Navajo elementary school.  I remember the thoughts of doubt that entered my mind.  I wondered whether I had made the right choice to join this trip.  I wondered whether I would work well with the other members of the group.  Even though I had gone to the weekly MAB group meetings with them, I still was unsure of what to expect.  People who went on past trips always lauded the program for being remarkable and for being able to foster friendship among the participants.  It seemed too good to be true, so I held my expectations low.  In addition, I was unsure of what to expect when volunteering in the elementary school in the following week.  These thoughts, however, soon became expelled as I volunteered to “get out” and “give back”.  Not only did I forge a strong relationship with the participants on the trip, I truly enjoyed immersing myself in the elementary school and the beautiful state of Utah.
            I cannot give enough praise to the participants on the trip as they each had something meaningful to contribute on the trip whether it was the insight about life and life of the Navajo or by being caring for each other and the children in the elementary school.  These people are by far the most impressive set of people I’ve encountered.  They made me want to work by being a resourceful member in the group, improve my communication skills, and be a good role model to the students.  Meanwhile, working in the elementary school was tremendously fun and rewarding.  It was amazing how close of a bond each of the participants formed with the children in a matter of a few days.  By the end of the trip, it was as if we had known these children for years.  They called me a range of nicknames that ranged from “Salsa T” to “Sloth”.  They eagerly waited for us to sit next to them during lunch.  They dragged us into their games of “Fox and Chicken” and dodgeball.  They admired us, they looked up to us, and they saw us as role models.  They always put on infectious smiles when we arrived to the school.  I wanted these children to succeed as I assisted them in whatever they needed help in whether it was for reading, writing, or math.  I want these children to have the same educational opportunities that I have been given.  It’s unfair that they’ve been placed in an adverse situation as they had no involvement in being placed in that situation.  The best way, however, to overcome this adversity is through education.  As Horace Mann, a prominent 19th century educational reformer, once said, “education is the great equalizer”, and I hope this trip underscored this very idea to the students.
            By the end of the week, I was sad to head back home just after a week of service.  The children hugged us, they gave us good-bye high fives, and they gave us cards.  The worst part was answering the common question of whether we would come back or not the subsequent year.  I gave them a vague answer, but I knew in the back of my mind that I most likely would not come back.  I truly enjoyed this trip, and it was, without a doubt, my most fun and productive spring break.  I wish the children the best, and I hope the small amount of time we spent with them will have some beneficial impact on their future lives.  I hope this trip continues whether it’s with the same people or not.  Regardless, I recommend any MAB trip to anyone in Mizzou.  It’s a fantastic program and my experience was beyond phenomenal. It has introduced me to a new set of friends, encouraged me to do service in the future, and it gave me a large amount of satisfaction doing something that I know is beneficial to society. 
_______________________________________________
MEGAN

Good morning Bluff Eagles! Megan (Bertha) Anderson here, just for those who may not know. This week I got to travel to Bluff, Utah with eleven stellar humans to serve the Bluff Elementary Eagles, which has a student population of majority Navajo kids. We laughed, we tent camped, we sang Ed Sheerhan, we lost in dodgeball to a bunch of 5th graders (sorry Sam, never forget), and we served the elementary school teachers and staff with anything and everything they wanted us to do throughout our week-long adventure. And while teaching 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders about science this week, I have gotten the opportunity to be a student as well. Not in the traditional sense, though. I didn’t have to buy any textbooks, nor did I really have to get any pens, there was no homework, and I was never assigned a specific teacher. But nonetheless, I learned this week. I’ve learned from the teachers a passion for Bluff and the school; I’ve learned from a Navajo family the importance of being satisfied and of love for yourself, your family, others, and your culture; and I’ve learned from the students the beauty of tag, how to dance, an excitement to learn, and the strength that can be found in a group with love and support. But my lessons never ended with the end of the school day. From Cori I’ve learned the greatness that is Coa Coa Puffs and how to be a kid, Vivian taught me how to be strong and to have a pride in who I am (Vivian, you rock), Salalalalalah taught me the importance of good story telling…and sporeman…and just kind of made me laugh a lot, Abby taught me the beauty in a good smile J, MegHan taught me how to act perfectly goofy…and to show kindergarten kids no mercy in kickball, Alicia taught me how to be passionate about science and children, Henry taught me how to live an adventurous life(fire starting competition is still happening), Annie taught me the poetic beauty in life (yes, Annie, you did), Casey taught me about being a genuinely thoughtful person…and how to smize, Brooke taught me how to be a joyous leader and about the great city of Nixa (where true leaders are born), and Sam taught me the beauty in a good conversation…and laugh (rolls eyes). So that probably wasn’t a real sentence and this isn’t a real paragraph (so I didn’t learn grammar this week), but that’s okay. Service is great, becoming an active citizen is fantastic, but learning alongside the children of Bluff Elementary is an experience I will never forget. Good morning Bluff Eagles! Today is Sunday, March 29, 2015. For lunch, we are having Navajo tacos made with love and friendship…and Rice Krispy treats…duh. We have two Birthdays: Cori and the end of this trip, not because it’s sad, but because it is the birth of a very beautiful future…for everyone involved (we all knew this was going to get cheesy, but act surprised). So good morning Bluff Eagles! See y’all later.     
peace, love, service,

Megan
_______________________________________________
ABBY

As my eyes darted from cow to cow through rolling Kansas and scanned ski slopes in the mountains of Colorado, I never would have guessed just how much my understanding of privilege would be transformed in the short week that was upon us. I had gotten glimpses of the tough situation out on Native American reservations before, but could never truly guess what life was like. On Thursday of our week, when we finally got the chance to visit the Navajo reservation, much to my surprise, the situation wasn’t saddening. Actually, it was inspiring. The Navajos that welcomed us into their home weren’t burdened by the lack of plumbing or running water. Instead, they believed that was their privilege. They told us they were fortunate to be living life so connected to their faith and heritage. By my previous standards, this family had chosen a life of difficulty and inconvenience, but as I listened to the medicine man during the prayer ceremony, I began to realize the purity of their happiness. They didn’t need modern amenities to keep them entertained because they had their faith and their family. They had everything they needed to survive and they believed any difficulty that was thrown their way was well worth it to live a modest life connected to mother earth.
Since leaving the reservation, I have become more aware of all that I have to be grateful for. It sounds cliché, but after seeing their welcoming smiles and listening to their affirming words, I know now that I don’t need all my physical belongings to be happy. I just need to be happy from within. I’m privileged not because I have plumbing or running water, but because I have the ability to be myself. I have the ability to be happy. By no means am I to the point of contentment that this Navajo family enjoys, but it wouldn’t be a life-changing experience if I didn’t have something to aspire to.
So, I’ll just leave you with this:
“Never forget the earth beneath you because that is the person on which you walk, but never forget the sky above you because that is where you are going.”

_______________________________________________

ALICIA

Participating in Mizzou Alternative Breaks served as a moving experience. I was surprised to learn that the Navajo Nation had as much poverty as a developing country and that many families did not have even the most basic needs for living met, such as access to clean water or electricity. In my career, I hope to somehow address all of the poverty that goes unnoticed in rural areas similar to the one in which we worked. During the experience, I learned a lot about culture and the sense of pride that the Navajo people that I worked with had. Witnessing their pride in their culture and heritage made me want to be proud of my own cultural practices. Being around children eight hours a day made me incredibly happy, and I loved getting know each and every child at Bluff Elementary. It amazed me that these kids were able to grow in just one week, and I hope that these kids are able to be successful in their future.

_______________________________________________

BROOKE

    It is incredibly hard to wrap up a week in a simple paragraph of a blog. As people have asked me how my break was all I can bring myself to say is, “It was amazing,” but that doesn’t even begin to cover just how amazing the trip truly was. We raced to each sunset to give ourselves the best new landscape to experience it with, laughed with one another as our true colors began to show throughout the trip, and served the student of Bluff Elementary School in Utah to the best of our abilities.
    But my favorite part about all of this has truly been seeing the principle of “communicate love” just beam from each of Sam and I’s participants. In everything they did, there was always love. Whether it was telling a joke to the group of us, playing with the children, or simply writing these blogs. I have truly enjoyed watching my participants interact with others on this trip.
    And I know this is incredibly short, but I just don’t have words to describe the week right now. It was simply and truly amazing just as all MAB trips are and just as all MAB trip will continue to be.
    Thank you to all who made this amazing trip possible. 

_______________________________________________

SAM

    During my 4 years at Mizzou, I’ve been involved in a wide array of different things. Each has shaped my experience in some way, but one stands out in its transformative impact on me over these last 4 years. Mizzou Alternative Breaks. This program has reshaped me in so many ways and I couldn’t have asked for a better final trip this past week. From the moment Brooke and I held our first participant meeting, I knew this was a special group. It was a diverse group of people, but one that I was confident would gel on our trip. They exceeded all of my expectations. Each and every participant brought something unique to the group and added value to every discussion and experience we had. Often on MAB you get asked if everyone on the trip is the same religion or at the very least the same major. I love answering no to that question and explaining to people that the participants on the trip are from all aspects of campus life, brought together by a simple desire to serve. The diversity prevalent in an MAB trip is so unique and truly one of the reasons that makes the program so special.
    I’m sitting here today 24 hours after we got back and my brain is filled with so many thoughts and emotions. Thoughts about if I should pursue a career in teaching, after loving each moment I spent in the classroom with the amazing kids at Bluff Elementary. Thoughts about my faith and whether I believe the things I hold most dearly with as much conviction as I think. Thoughts about my heart, why it’s not marked by the same level of gratitude as the Navajo people displayed throughout the week. MAB isn’t just about building relationships with a service site and the 11 other people on your trip. It’s also about examining yourself at your very core. This program never fails to make me ask life’s toughest questions to myself and refocus on what I truly believe is worth living for.
    ​Saying goodbye to this program hurts. I’m trying to avoid the reality that I don’t get to experience another one of these trips. But I’m encouraged because I know my heart and mind are filled with some amazing experiences over these last 4 years that aren’t going to leave me. I’ve been molded and shaped by this program and I know that when I leave Mizzou I will take the lessons I’ve learned through MAB to wherever life takes me. MAB doesn’t end when the tiger tail on your van drags itself back into a Columbia parking lot. It continues on as each and every person takes their experience and “Brings It Home” no matter where on the globe they call home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment