Orlando - Disabilities (1)

Before my first day of volunteering, I was a little unsure on what to expect. Would it be sad? Overwhelming? All of my anxieties were put to rest within my first day of volunteering at OCA and Give Kids the World. Seeing the smile on their faces as we interacted with them throughout day proved to me that we were really making a difference. It didn't matter if we were running around outside or just sitting and playing the wii; the children provided a positive energy that we couldn't help but feed off of. The repeated thanks from the staff showed us that our service was truly appreciated. 

Not only did our service help progress the lives of the children, but it helped us volunteers evolve as a whole. Spending time at these organizations showed me that the child always comes before the disability. It also helps build character and truly find yourself as a person which is one of the main goals of Mizzou Alternative Breaks. I feel everyone should have an opportunity to participate in this program because it is a true test of your patience and compassion for others. This trip was probably the most life changing and meaningful way to spend spring break and I wouldn't want to spend it any other way. 
-Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment