McKinney - Homelessness (1)

Well, we made it. After stuffing our faces with Strange Donuts (solid choice, by the way) and trekking down south for nine hours, we arrived in McKinney, TX. This is it.

This Spring Break, we're serving at The Samaritan Inn, a homeless shelter that offers job training, financial classes, and other resources to help residents get back on their feet. On Sunday, we had a tour by Cara, our contact at the site, who showed us all of the facilities where we'll be spending the week working. Unlike many homeless shelters, residents stay at The Samaritan Inn for an average of six months, meaning it becomes a tight knit community.

Cara has done an amazing job matching service opportunities based on our interests. For example, two strategic communication students have been helping The Inn with marketing projects, while participants interested in business and software have helped optimize the shelter's database.

From the participants:

Thalia: These past few days have felt like weeks.  We have had many ups and downs, but I feel very thankful to be working at the Inn in the childcare and database sections.  The residents are always excited that we are able to play with their kids for a few hours each day.

Tess: It's been an amazing last few days at The Samaritan Inn. Working on marketing projects with Cara has allowed me to do something I love, while playing with the kids lets me break away from the office scene. One of the most surprising things has been seeing how normal the children are. Even though they've likely faced so much adversity, they still like playing basketball or dressing up as a princess—just like every other child their age.

Ally: I get to spend my time working outside at The Samaritan Inn, which sounds strange working at a homeless shelter, but I have been assisting the inn with landscaping and preparing for the Easter Egg Hunt next week. Everyone is so appreciative and it has made me reason that even jobs that don't have a direct impact still have an important role in the organization.

David: Serving at the Inn has been a humbling experience. In a dynamic role, I have assisted with office paperwork, prepared meals for the residents and spent time entertaining many of the children, all in one day. My experience here has been humbling because the residents have treated us with respect and true kindness. I believe that our service is making an impact for the Samaritan Inn and McKinney community and want to continue my service when I return to Columbia.

Maya: Working at the Samaritan Inn has been an experience like no other! So far I have completed a wide array of task from event planning to landscaping. While some tasks have been more fun than others, at the end of the day, I'm having a big impact on the Samaritan Inn and that is such a rewarding feeling. This trip has taught be that no matter how small or insignificant a task may seem, it makes a big difference in the long run.

Jack: The Samaritan Inn is a fantastic organization and I have really enjoyed working for them so far. I have been working with Dany to edit and clean up The Samaritan Inn's database. Today I was lucky enough to play with little kids in the afternoon and play basketball with the teens tonight.

Kyle: Here at the Samaritan Inn, I've had an amazing time serving with my fellow MAB members.  From counting thousands of Easter eggs for the Easter egg hunt to pulling weeds and landscaping, I can say that I have made a difference here in the McKinney community.

Caileigh: Working at the Samaritan Inn has been an amazing experience. I have worked in the preschool every day and have gotten to know the kids really well. Today we ran through sprinklers and the kids took turns drenching me with the hose. It feels great to hear the kids laugh!

John: The Samaritan Inn has been a blessing in disguise. It has been an amazing experience. Spending the week with the people of the Inn has opened my eyes to different life struggles and has challenged me to appreciate the blessings in my life. The lessons I have learned this week will be brought home and applied to my life going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment