Harleyville, SC

15 hours.


That's a long time to be in a car. Let alone driving ~10 hours of it. Ah yes one of the distinct pleasures of being among the few driver-eligible participants on our awesome little service trip. Still, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed certain parts of the drive. There were quiet parts sure, especially in the morning when we were just setting out. I don't know at what point exactly, but there was a discernible change in the decibel level of the car around ~10ish maybe (having left at 6am) when I think the rest of the car, outside my dutiful passenger Tyler and I, started to regain consciousness. That was fun, because then people started talking, looking outside the car, and just giving a general life to the road trip. It could also help that by that time we were mostly out of Illinois and on our way into Tennessee, which I prefer greatly (for driving) to Illinois. 

Then, after a fun lunch in Nashville (BBQ!) we got to hop back in the car for another 8 HOURS of driving! I think this was probably about when I had my first break. That was nice... Then I got to get back into the driver seat for the final-stretch. This was by-far my FAVORITE part of the day for two reasons. 
1 Driving through the appalachia country is truly an awesome experience, since that part of the country is so beautiful and hilly! 
2. Deep philosophical talks on our way to the cabin. 

I've recently gotten very into philosophy and we got a lively debate going in the car about whether truth is a prerequisite for happiness. I won't hash into the details, but suffice to say that everyone in our car had a fun time talking about the topic and what it means to be happy, and what "truth" means. 

All in all, it was a fantastic start to harleyville 2014- another unforgettable adventure.

signing off,
-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment