Jacksonville, FL - Animals (Post 5)

We spent another day serving in the beautiful Jacksonville, FL. Today, we travelled back to the Jacksonville Humane Society where we spent the day filling dog kongs and walking dogs! The organization had 1,100 dogs adopted since January so we were ecstatic to further their mission. Even during our service day alone, we saw several families coming in to adopt animals (including cute little girl and her mother taking home a rescued cat!).

The kong filling morning was, surprisingly, a lot of fun! We automatically created an assembly line to expedite the process. We mixed together dry dog food, water, bacon strips, wet food, and peanut butter to create delectable treats (pictured below). Note #Karen's crazy expression in the back!



We spent the afternoon in the shelter walking dogs. The shelter categorizes the dogs into 3 colors: green, yellow, and red. Green being calmer dogs that are "easier" to handle while red describes "aggressive" dogs. We were only allowed to handle the "green" dogs since we were inexperienced at the shelter. Each of the dogs had an information sheet that indicated when the dog had last been walked. It was completely heartbreaking to see that many of the dogs only get to leave the kennels once a day because there is a shortage of volunteers to walk them. It was our mission to walk every single dog that we were given clearance to (and we succeeded)!




Here is where the injuries started. First, Baylee injured her finger on a door. Second, Karen and Maria were bit by ants when sitting down. Third and finally, Maria tripped on a tree root and injured herself that way. Luckly, none of the injuries were serious. After our service time, we headed off to Five Points/Avondale which was both recommended by the youth group we met with as well as the Rays, the family that we met on a walk that provided us a delicious home-cooked dinner.



Above is an interesting picture Mackenzie took at an antique store we visited at Five Points (body parts?). We then had dinner at Derby on Five, which was fantastic, and proceeded back to the church to catch up on some much needed sleep.

Good night, and below are our Highs and Lows of the day:

Sijie:
High: Playing with all the puppies
Low: On the way to Five Points (a shopping district), I was completely asleep on the way there and didn't get to see anything. I was also half asleep while walking into the stores and almost walked into a busy street.

Maria:
High: When we were selecting out first dogs to walk, Sijie (she is about 5 feet tall) picked a big dog that she couldn't control. She decided to get a different dog that she could comfortably handle. I just went on with my business walking my own dog. After about 10 minutes I see Sijie getting dragged around by a little dachshund. It was hysterical.
Low: Today was a low point. I was bitten by ants when I sat down with a dog. Second, I tripped on a tree root while running with a dog and was dragged on the ground. I slightly sprained my ankle. On the bright side, the dog came back to comfort me when she saw that I had fallen!

Allie:
High: Seeing everyone enjoying the interactions with the dogs and "going the extra mile" to serve the animals. Actions such as "Let's sweep the whole floor," rather than the only area we worked in was heartwarming.
Low: Seeing a dog that looked like she had been scalded with water. It was really sad since she was a sweet dog.

Karen:
High: Chocolate Cake from Derby on Fifth.
Low: When Marla decided to give me wrist burns while I was trying to walk her.

Matt:
High: Snuggling with 3-legged champion dog while playing with a squeaking duck toy for an hour. Low: When a dog got away from Karen and I helped catch it. I got peed on.

Carlie:
High: Walking Donna, I really wanted to adopt her. She was a lot like my Lucy, a beagle terrier mix who is 25 lbs of adorableness.
Low: Realizing how infrequently the dogs were taken out.

Hai:
High:
Low: Participants getting injured! So many injuries in one day is scary!

Baylee:
High: After being injured (I injured my finger on a door) and couldn't walk dogs comfortably with injured hand, having the opportunity to play with puppies! Also, dinner at Derby on Fifth was amazing! Low: Getting injured by a metal door.

Taylor:
High: Listening to the Frozen soundtrack, on replay, on the way to the Humane Society.
Low: Having the fear that the poop bag I was using to clean up had a hole in it! Also, I had some dogs that would constantly jerk the leash!

Alex:
High: Walking Jerome and playing catch with his squeaky toy. He got so excited that he threw up after drinking too much water while running around!
Low: Whenever the group got separated at Five Points.

Natasha:
High: Getting the opportunity to interact with the dogs.
Low: Having to put the dogs back to the cage. It was super sad seeing their faces when we had to put them back in their cages. Also, there was this female dog named Bella that continually tried to show its attraction to me!

Mackenzie:
High: Loved walking the dogs!
Low: I don't like when people are mean to me while I'm sleeping.

Make sure to visit our twitter @MAB_JAXsonville for live updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment