Mississippi River Delta - Education (Post 1)

When this picture was taken two days and six states ago, I was anxiously anticipating spending thirteen hours crammed in a minivan with my fellow ASB trippers. 



Everyone was running on roughly 5 hours of sleep and a whole lot of coffee after a slumber party at our site leader's house.  The majority of our group is made up of boys (something of an anomaly in the world of ASB, or so I'm told!) and I didn't know what kind of BO we'd be dealing with by the end of our trek.  We were lucky enough to all know each other through Phi Sigma Pi, so while no one in my group is strangers, there is no one that I was incredibly close with initially.  Despite all of these factors though, or maybe even because of them, I have had one of the most amazing spring breaks of my LIFE, and we're only on day 2!  I never would have dreamed that after sitting in the back seat of a van for 13 hours, I would dread getting out.  This dread didn't stem from a worry about the location we were staying at, but rather a sadness that the time spent bonding during the ride was over.  From playing word games to sharing first kiss stories, to creating music videos and new dance moves, I have already created so many wonderful memories with my fellow spring breakers. 

After a lovely homemade crawfish boil, a failed attempt at choking down an oyster, and some delicious shrimp gumbo (thanks Buddy!) we settled down for the night at the same church as the New Orleans ASB trip.  That brings us to this morning, when we rose bright and early to start our day of fun exploring the streets of NOLA.  We began our day in the same way we ended our night, feasting on delicious Louisiana cuisine and eleven orders of CafĂ© Dumont's finest powdered sugar. (Oh and there were some French donuts in there too).  We then checked out the St. Francis Catholic Church, and worked our way over to Bourbon Street to explore the remnants of one heck of a Mardi Gras celebration.  We shopped around a bit, and in lieu of keeping up our trend of sampling traditional Louisiana food enjoyed po' boy sandwiches for lunch.  Soon after that it was time to head out, which brings us up to speed, happily enjoying each other's company on our way to Ruleville, Mississippi. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we are so excited to see what the rest of this week holds, as we are already off to a fantastic start!

 - Elise from MAB Ruleville

No comments:

Post a Comment